It’s well known that insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Drivers who shop around annually are very likely to switch car insurance companies because they stand a good chance of finding better rates. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who routinely compared rates saved as much as $72 a month compared to policyholders who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the lowest price on Chevy Sonic insurance is why you’re reading this, learning how to shop for cheaper coverage can make it easier to find better rates.
The recommended way to find better pricing on car insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers in Aurora. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that cause rate increases such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a poor credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover the details to help keep prices low and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices from many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find better rates and buy the policy, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to the new company. As soon as you receive it, put the certificate of insurance with your vehicle’s registration.
The critical component of shopping around is to try to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and and to get rates from as many companies as you can. This enables a fair price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Get cheaper rates by taking advantage of these five discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but a few need to be specifically requested prior to getting the savings.
- Driver Education Discount – Teen drivers should successfully take a driver’s education course if offered at their school.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Cautious Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a vehicle that is new is cheaper because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Good Grades Discount – Excelling in school may save as much as 25% on a Aurora auto insurance quote. The good student discount can last until age 25.
Policy discounts save money, but most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- State Farm has savings for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, multiple policy, passive restraint, and good driver.
- Progressive discounts include online quote discount, multi-vehicle, good student, online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- Progressive may offer discounts for continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, online signing, and homeowner.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, multi-policy, accident-free, claim-free, and good student.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, safe driver, good student, youthful driver, multi-policy, driver training, and renewal discount.
- GEICO has discounts for good student, driver training, air bags, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- SAFECO offers discounts for teen safe driver, multi-car, anti-lock brakes, drive less, teen safety rewards, and anti-theft.
When quoting, ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Savings may not apply to policies in every state. To see providers with the best discounts in Aurora, click here.
The method we recommend to compare rate quotes for Chevy Sonic insurance in Aurora takes advantage of the fact most insurance companies pay for the opportunity to give free rates quotes. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is provide a small amount of information including level of coverage desired, if it has an alarm system, how much you drive, and if you are currently licensed. That rating data gets transmitted to many different companies and they return cost estimate instantly.
To find the cheapest Chevy Sonic insurance rates, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Aurora.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Aurora, CO. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Insurance agents can find coverage gaps
Some people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find cheaper rates but also keep your business local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is sent to participating agents in Aurora who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to compare prices from a specific auto insurance provider, feel free to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Finding a good provider should include more criteria than just the price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Aurora?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
Aurora auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
If you would like to find a local insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agencies in Aurora can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They usually cannot provide other company’s prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Aurora who can help you get price quote information.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type do not work for one specific company and that gives them the ability to insure through lots of different companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Listed below are Aurora independent agents that can give you price quote information.
Why you need car insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Sonic insurance, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, the majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car legally. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Sonic has a loan, most lenders will require you to have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank may insure your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
Third, car insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in America is overpaying over $865 each year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at every renewal to save money.
Car insurance coverages for a Chevy Sonic
Learning about specific coverages of car insurance helps when choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
Liability – This provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property. It protects YOU from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/15 that means you have $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $15,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers claims such as attorney fees, medical expenses and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Colorado state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/15 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The chart below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Collision – This covers damage to your Sonic from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims like hitting a parking meter, backing into a parked car, driving through your garage door, rolling your car and colliding with a tree. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible on your Sonic to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Chevy Sonic.
Due to the fact that many Colorado drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/15), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for expenses such as surgery, prosthetic devices and rehabilitation expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover you and your occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like a broken windshield, rock chips in glass, fire damage, damage from getting keyed and damage from flooding. The most your car insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
How to find a good Colorado auto insurance company
Ending up with a high-quality auto insurance company is hard considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Aurora. The rank data shown below could help you pick which companies to look at comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Aurora Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
- The Hartford – A+
Top 10 Aurora Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- Allstate – 88%
- 21st Century – 88%
- The General – 88%
Compare but don’t skimp
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that it was a big mistake. Your goal is to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
Cheap Chevy Sonic insurance in Aurora is attainable from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not offer rates over the internet and usually these regional carriers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
We covered many ideas to save on Chevy Sonic insurance in Aurora. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from an unexpected company. Smaller companies may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
Additional auto insurance information can be read below:
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers in Aurora? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Aurora Auto Insurance Quotes for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Homeowners in Aurora? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Ram in Aurora? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Aurora? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for College Graduates in Aurora? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)